Friday, November 2, 2007

Thing 8 - Wikis

Purple again. My brain is whirling with Wiki's. I love Wikipedia, though I have never edited it, but I might sometime when I feel confident about my knowledge. So, I'm familiar with the Wikipedia format and feel comfortable with that - I like the standardized format and knowing what to expect. Some of the others were so different that it takes too long to orient yourself. I think they would be good, though, for librarians within an organization working on a committee or something.

Radical trust has always been an issue with me since everybody fell in love with the internet! That's why I like books - you can be pretty sure they have been written and edited by different people so the crazies get weeded out. But, as I use internet daily, I realize that you have to trust in yourself to mentally edit whatever you read. It adds a burden, I'll admit, but the positives outweigh the negatives and, besides, its here to stay!

No comments: